Disney’s take on Sherlock Holmes may not Bendaduck Cumberbottom worthy, but it’s still great. We have the classic British tea and crumpets shown as well as some beer (which isn’t uncommon in Disney). However, I decided to skip eating a mouse like Ratigan’s cat does.
Cheese Crumpets for Toby
Crumpets are usually pan fried and not baked. However Mrs. Judson makes cheese crumpets that resemble muffins.
They also show lots of tea. I don’t drink tea, but if you want to make proper English tea, check out this site.
When I made the crumpets, I actually missed the fact that they were cheese crumpets. But I’m sure if you add a cup of grated cheddar, it’d turn out great. However, even without the cheese, they were great.
- 1 pkg active yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- grated rind of an orange or lemon
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Soak yeast and first amount of sugar in warm water until frothy (15 minutes).
- Add butter, second amount of sugar, salt and orange rind to warm milk and stir.
- Add this to the yeast water. Beat, then add the eggs and flour. Add cheese if desired.
- Beat until batter is smooth.
- Rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat over to 400 °F.
- Grease muffin pans.
- Fill the greased pans about 2/3 full and bake for 15 minutes or longer, until done.
All of Ratigan’s supporters drink beer. They even try to poison Basil and Dawson’s beers.
Of course, we’re keeping this a kid friendly blog, so we decided to make Root Beer! BUUUUUUUUUT, we hit a snag. First, I didn’t realize how hard it was to get dry ice where I live. Then I found a recipe to make Root Beer with yeast. So I went and got yeast and I was going to get root beer extract, but I couldn’t find any root beer extract! I didn’t have enough time to go somewhere else, so I wasn’t able to make the root beer. I’m sorry if I let you guys down. But here’s a recipe.
- 2 ounces McCormick® Root Beer Concentrate
- 5 pounds sugar
- 5 gallons lukewarm spring water, (approximately 95°F)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce/7 g) dry active yeast
- 1 cup pre-boiled water, (cooled to 85° to 95°F)
- Clean and sanitize all bottling equipment according to information below. Shake Root Beer Concentrate well. Mix with sugar in a large container. (DO NOT USE ALUMINUM). Stir in spring water.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup pre-boiled water. Allow yeast to dissolve undisturbed 10 to 15 minutes. Add to sugar mixture and stir well.
- Bottle immediately into plastic bottles, leaving 2-inch space at top of bottle. Cap tightly. Store each bottle on its side in a warm place (70° to 80°F) for 1 to 2 days, then store upright in refrigerator at 40° to 45°F for additional 3 to 4 days. Keep refrigerated and consume within 7 to 8 days.
So the crumpets were really good. I’d definitely have them again. English know how to make food.
Crumpets – 7/10