Quick links: Organic Yucca Fuel | Verdict
Rewatching all these Pixar movies is great. Cars used to be one of my least favorite Pixar movies, but after rewatching it, I decided it was really good. Sadly, its not good for food. As much as you probably want to see me guzzle motor oil, I don’t have a deathwish. So this week is kinda a cop-out. We’re preparing for some huge feasts coming up though. Next week is Meet the Robinsons, then it’s going to be the behemoth of Ratatouille!
Organic Yucca Fuel
At Fillmore’s Taste-In, he has a bunch of different types of organic fuel
I wanted to make some Prickly Pear fuel, but I couldn’t find prickly pears anywhere. So I opted for some Yucca Fuel. It wasn’t that great.
Will it Gas Up Your Tank?
Organic Yucca Fuel
- 2 in piece yucca root
- 1 c Aloe Juice
- 2 tsp honey (less if the Aloe juice is pre-sweetened)
- Place the ingredients in a blender and blend
- Serve chilled
Ya, the Yucca fuel wasn’t super great. If anyone wants to try and make some other fuels, let me know and I’ll post your recipes!
Yucca Fuel – 4/10
Quick links: Popcorn | Orange Soda | Verdict
Chicken Little is the first fully computer animated film from Disney. It is a pretty fun film, but not great in Disney standards. It is definitely good for a few laughs though. We’ve been in kind of a slump lately. There hasn’t been much good food shown in movies. Chicken Little showed some food, but it was food we’ve already made or common food items. But we have a couple quick and easy recipes for you. Popcorn and orange soda. Perfect for your Chicken Little viewing night.
I also wanted to do a shout out to our friends at Dreams To Become. We had the awesome opportunity to join their blog to do a viewing of Winnie the Pooh. We made our shortbread jam cookies and recorded an awesome commentary to the movie. Check it out! and be sure to support their patreon in order to hear the commentary.
- Corn on the cob
- Green gatorade
- Orange soda
- Dog bone
Buck Cluck’s Popcorn
When Chicken Little gets hit by the second piece of the sky, his dad is making popcorn and the popcorn explodes all over him.
I made some popcorn, but not just plain microwave popcorn. I actually made it over the stove! It actually tastes really good. Better than movie theater popcorn.
Buck Cluck Popcorn
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 ounces popcorn kernels, (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- Place the oil, popcorn and salt in a large, deep frying pan.
- Wrap the pan in aluminum foil, leave slack at the top for the popcorn to pop.
- Place 10 holes in the top of the aluminum foil.
- Over a medium-high heat, shake the pan constantly until the popcorn starts and finishes popping (about 5 minutes)
- Remove aluminum foil and add in melted butter
- Mix well and enjoy.
Orange Soda Jet Pack
Chicken Little uses an orange soda jet pack a few times in the movie. It is his preferred mode of transportation.
I made an easy homemade orange soda. Check it out.
Will it Save you From an Alien Attack?
Orange Soda Jet Pack
- Juice from 2 oranges (about 1 cup)
- Zest from 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Seltzer Water
- Place the orange juice, orange zest, and the sugar into a small saucepan and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by 1/3, stirring frequently.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Strain the syrup through a cheesecloth or fine strainer to remove any large pieces of zest and pulp.
- Place in a bottle and refrigerate until cool
- Mix 1 part orange syrup with approximately 3 parts Seltzer water
- Enjoy cooled
So even though the food wasn’t amazing. It is good for a snack and movie night. I’m definitely going to be making stove popcorn more often.
Popcorn – 8.5/10
Orange Soda – 8/10
The Incredibles might be the most fun Pixar movie ever made. It’s always a joy watching it. I want to go save the world right after too. There wasn’t too much food, except for the family’s leftover night. I just wonder how much food they make on a regular night because it seemed like almost a full meatloaf, big bowl of mashed potatoes and steak. A full steak. I’ll give Mrs. Incredible the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they had guests that canceled last minute or something.
Quick links: Cowboy Chili | Verdict
I’m sorry to all the hardcore Brother Bear and Home on the Range fans (yes, all three of you), but we’re combining both Brother Bear and Home on the Range. Neither had very much food, and only one of them had makeable food. (Brother Bear had some raw salmon, but you can eat some of the salmon you use for your Monster’s Inc sushi). Nevertheless, we made some really great chili from Home on the Range! This was actually my first time watching Home on the Range. It wasn’t as bad as everyone has put it out to be. But now I have officially seen all of the Walt Disney Studios animated movies! Yay!
Home on the Range
Alameda Slimmin’ Chili
This is only briefly shown when Alameda Slim and the Willie Brothers take a herd. Alameda Slim shoots down some chili-ish stuff that is cooking over an open fire.
We already made Cowboy Beans, so now it’s time for Cowboy Chili!
Alameda Slimmin' Chili
- 1.5 lbs. ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced (deseeded for milder taste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 3 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14.5) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans of drained kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- Brown ground beef.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the whiskey and cook for 5 minutes
- Add salt, pepper, water, crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cayenne and cumin.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 min.
Will it Turn you into a Bear and/or a Cow?
Even though Brother Bear and Home on the Range aren’t the best Disney movies, and even though they didn’t have much food, the chili was really good.
Chili – 8/10