Quick links: Kanine Krunchies | Bologna Sandwich | Beans from a Can | Verdict
I loved rewatching 101 Dalmatians. It was too bad there wasn’t much food. There was some tea shown and some cupcakes that look a lot like the cupcakes from Ichabod (so check out that movie for the recipe) But the biggest treat was Kanine Krunchies.
So get your puppies together and check out some dog-centric recipes from 101 Dalmatians.
Who can forget the delightful jingle that Patch can’t get enough of. Too bad he didn’t have YouTube back then.
This was a fun variation. I haven’t made a dish specifically for a dog before. But I altered a recipe for dog biscuits to make a delicious version of Kanine Krunchies that my dog loves.
|1 cup||Rolled Oats|
|1 cup||boiling water|
|2 teaspoons||white sugar|
|2 teaspoons||chicken or beef bouillon granules|
|1 cup||shredded cheese|
|3 cups||whole wheat flour|
|1/2 inch||fresh ginger finely diced (or 1/2 tsp ginger powder)|
|3 strips||bacon, finely ground (in blender)|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, margarine, and boiling water.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Fry bacon, keep grease
- Blend bacon in blender
- Thoroughly stir in cornmeal, sugar, bouillon, milk, Cheddar cheese, bacon, bacon grease, ginger and egg to the oats mixture.
- Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until a stiff dough has formed.
Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, mixing in additional flour as necessary until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Roll or pat out dough to 1/2″ thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutter (I prefer bone shaped), and place 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.
- Cool before serving. Store in a loosely covered container.
Source (modified to my liking): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dog-treats-i/
Horace’s Full of Bologna
In one scene, Horace is eating a sandwich and Rolly decides he wants a bite.
The sandwich actually looks pretty good.
Horace's Full of Bologna
Baked Beans from a Can
In another scene, Horace is eating again. I had to watch the movie frame by frame to see what he’s eating from the can. But you can see that there are some little bean-like shapes on the end of his knife.
So I heated up a can of Heinz 57 baked beans, made in England and chowed away.
Will it Make you See Spots?
The food in this movie was sparse, but I loved the sandwich and baked beans are always good. My dog absolutely LOVES the Kanine Krunchies. I think I’ll be making those for her more often. They don’t last as long as regular dog treats, so I ended up freezing most of them. I just have to include that pic of my dog one my time.
Kanine Krunchies – 10/10 for dogs, 4/10 for humans
Sandwich – 8/10
Baked Beans – 6/10